Re: [SOLVED] output discards (queue drops) on switchport

On 12 September 2017 at 01:15, Blair Bethwaite
<blair.bethwaite@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Flow-control may well just mask the real problem. Did your throughput improve? Also, does that mean flow-control is on for all ports on the switch...? IIUC, then such "global pause" flow-control will mean switchports with links to upstream network devices will also be paused if the switch is attempting to pass packets from those ports down to a congested host.

Sorry, I didn't finish explaining that... The problem in the above
scenario is that global-pause is link-level, so even if you have other
flows destined for non-congested hosts on the same switch and plenty
of upstream/fabric link capacity for them, those flows will also get
paused due to a single congested downstream host. For any particular
topology and congestion rate there is likely to be a tipping point.

--
Cheers,
~Blairo