Re: Luminous CephFS on EC - how?

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 12:28:12PM +0100, John Spray wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 7:21 AM, Martin Millnert <martin@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > what is the proper method to not only setup but also successfully use
> > CephFS on erasure coded data pool?
> > The docs[1] very vaguely state that erasure coded pools do not support omap
> > operations hence, "For Cephfs, using an erasure coded pool means setting
> > that pool in a file layout.". The file layout docs says nothing further
> > about this [2].  (I filed a bug[3].)
> >
> > I'm guessing this translates to something along the lines of:
> >
> >   ceph fs new cephfs cephfs_metadata cephfs_replicated_data
> >   ceph fs add_data_pool cephfs cephfs_ec_data
> >
> > And then,
> >
> >   setfattr -n ceph.dir.layout.SOMETHING -v cephfs_ec_data  $cephfs_dir
>
> Yep.  The SOMETHING is just "pool".

Ok, thanks!

> I see from your ticket that you're getting an OSD crash, which is
> pretty bad news!

> For what it's worth, I have a home cephfs-on-EC configuration that has
> run happily for quite a while, so this can be done -- we just need to
> work out what's making the OSDs crash in this particular case.

Well, my base pool is EC and I guessed from the log output that that is
the root cause of the error. I.e. the list of pending omap operations is
too large.

As I wrote in my ticket there is room for improvement in docs on how to
do it and with cli/api rejecting "ceph fs new <pool1> <pool2>" with
pool1 or pool2 being EC.

/M