Re: Luminous CephFS on EC - how?

On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 7:21 AM, Martin Millnert <martin@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> what is the proper method to not only setup but also successfully use
> CephFS on erasure coded data pool?
> The docs[1] very vaguely state that erasure coded pools do not support omap
> operations hence, "For Cephfs, using an erasure coded pool means setting
> that pool in a file layout.". The file layout docs says nothing further
> about this [2].  (I filed a bug[3].)
>
> I'm guessing this translates to something along the lines of:
>
>   ceph fs new cephfs cephfs_metadata cephfs_replicated_data
>   ceph fs add_data_pool cephfs cephfs_ec_data
>
> And then,
>
>   setfattr -n ceph.dir.layout.SOMETHING -v cephfs_ec_data  $cephfs_dir

Yep.  The SOMETHING is just "pool".

I see from your ticket that you're getting an OSD crash, which is
pretty bad news!

For what it's worth, I have a home cephfs-on-EC configuration that has
run happily for quite a while, so this can be done -- we just need to
work out what's making the OSDs crash in this particular case.

Cheers,
John