Re: Specifying a cache tier for erasure-coding?

So many of your questions depends on what your cluster is used for. We don't even know rbd or cephfs from what you said and that still isn't enough to fully answer your questions. I have a much smaller 3 node cluster using Erasure coding for rbds as well as cephfs and it is fine speed-wise for my needs with the cache tier on the hdds. Luminous will remove the need for a cache tier to use Erasure coding if you can wait.

Is your current cluster fast enough for your needs? Is Erasure coding just for additional space? If so, moving to Erasure coding requires you to copy your data from the replicated pool to the EC pool land you will have 2 copies of your data until you feel confident enough to delete the replicated copy.  Elaborate on what you mean when you ask how robust EC is, you then referred to replicated as simple.  Are you concerned it will add complexity or that it will be lacking features of a replicated pool?