Re: New cluster - configuration tips and reccomendation - NVMe

Hi Massimiliano,

I am a little surprised to see 6x NVMe, 64GB of RAM, 2x100 NICs and E5-2603 v4, that's one of the cheapest E5 Intel CPU mixed with some pretty high end gear, it does not make sense. Wildo's right go with much higher frequency: E5-2637 v4, E5-2643 v4, E5-1660 v4, E5-1650 v4. If you need to go on the cheap, the E3 serie is interesting (E3-1220 v6, E3-1230 v6, ...) if you can work with the limitations: max 64GB of RAM, max 4 cores  and single CPU.

Higher frequency should reduce latency when communicating with NICs and SSDs which benefits Ceph's performance.

100G NICs is overkill for throughput, but it should reduce the latency. 25G NIC are becoming popular for servers (replacing 10G NICs).

Cheers,
Maxime