Re: Zabbix plugin for ceph-mgr

Back to just Zabbix, this thread could go on forever if it devolves into monitoring system comparisons.

As a home project I was curious what I could do with Zabbix for monitoring Ceph.  I added a lot of Items for all of the PG states, osd counts (up, in, etc), rados space (used, percent, total), IO stats (recovery read/write, client read/write, IOPS), etc.  These Items aren't really used for alerts, I have more specific alerting like if I have too many failure domains with OSDs down and the ceph health message.  What all of these triggers are used for is the graphs in Zabbix.  For my home setup, I don't need/want a full carbon/graphite system running... yet.  Zabbix graphs based on trigger-less items is perfect for that.

All of that said, I think that parsing ceph cli commands to get this data is clunky and a mgr daemon would make a lot of sense to have an option to push to zabbix.  Disable it by default, but put it in the ceph.conf as an option for mgr_monitoring_zabbix = true.  That sort of syntax would work well with other monitoring solutions as well that can accept push stats.  The problem is if this makes it so that Ceph needs to keep feature parity with Zabbix releases if they change how they want the data to come in with different releases.  mgr_monitoring_zabbix_v2, mgr_monitoring_zabbix_v3, etc would be a nuisance for the Ceph team to deal with.

I found this github for my project to get all of the items into Zabbix quickly.  There's another one based on python.  It got me 90% of the way to where I wanted Zabbix to be for monitoring Ceph.  https://github.com/thelan/ceph-zabbix

On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 5:59 AM Wido den Hollander <wido@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Op 27 juni 2017 om 11:24 schreef Marc Roos <M.Roos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>

> FYI, 5 or even more years ago I was trying zabbix and when I noticed
> that when the monitored hosts increased, the load on the mysql server
> was increasing. Without being able to recall exactly what was wrong (I
> think every sample they did, was one insert statement), I do remember
> that I got quite an 'amateur' feeling of these guys. And when they apply
> 'strange logics' in one situation, they are likely to apply this more
> often elsewhere in their code. Then I moved to nagios.

I see Zabbix envs running with thousands of hosts and 10ks of items in there without any issues.

It's ofcourse a personal preference. Working at a location now who are eager to go to Luminous and would like to see such a module for ceph-mgr.

Wido