From: Wido den Hollander [mailto:wido@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: dinsdag 27 juni 2017 11:09
To: ceph-users@xxxxxxxx
Subject:  Zabbix plugin for ceph-mgr

Hi,

After looking at the documentation [0] on how to write a plugin for
ceph-mgr I've been playing with the idea to create a Zabbix [1] plugin
for ceph-mgr.

Before I start writing one I'd like to check if I'm thinking in the
right direction.

Zabbix supports Items [2] and Triggers. Triggers are based on Items's
values. A Item could be from the type 'Trapper' where a application can
simply send key=value pairs, for example:

my.host.name ceph.health HEALTH_OK
my.host.name ceph.osd.up 499
my.host.name ceph.osd.in 498

A simple ceph-mgr module could do:

def serve(self):
  while True:
    send_data_to_zabbix()
    time.sleep(60)

If for example the key ceph.health is != OK for >1h Zabbix could fire a
trigger and send our an alert to an admin.

Now, would that be a sane plugin for ceph-mgr or is this something you
shouldn't put in the mgr? To me it seems like a good place since it
already has all the data present. This way data is pushed to Zabbix
instead of the need for polling the data and parsing JSON output of
'ceph -s'

Wido

[0]: http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/mgr/plugins/
[1]: http://www.zabbix.com/