Re: TRIM/Discard on SSDs with BlueStore

On Tue, 27 Jun 2017 13:24:45 +0200 (CEST) Wido den Hollander wrote:

> > Op 27 juni 2017 om 13:05 schreef Christian Balzer <chibi@xxxxxxx>:
> >

> > On Tue, 27 Jun 2017 11:24:54 +0200 (CEST) Wido den Hollander wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I've been looking in the docs and the source code of BlueStore to figure out if it issues TRIM/Discard [0] on SSDs and I haven't been able to find an answer.
> > >
> > > Does BlueStore/BlueFS issue these commands to give back the space to the underlying device?
> > >
> > > For SSDs it improves both write performance and their lifespan, so it would be a very nice to have feature.
> > >
> > > SATA 3.1 has "Queued TRIM Command" which allows it to be 'async' in the controller.
> > >
> > If it were that last bit, I'd be for it, if it isn't then something that
> > you can fully control akin to fstrim would be a much better idea.
> >

> Problem is that you can't run fstrim on BlueStore since it's not a mounted filesystem like XFS. Therefor TRIM/Discard would have to be issued by the OSD.

I wrote akin, so lets call it bluetrim.
Bluestore already needs too know what blocks are allocated and which not,
so in a typical case stop the osd (noout first), run "bluetrim", fire it
up again.
Maximum speed of trim, no complex logic and most likely least amount of
client performance impact.

Christian