Re: TRIM/Discard on SSDs with BlueStore

> Op 27 juni 2017 om 13:05 schreef Christian Balzer <chibi@xxxxxxx>:
>

> On Tue, 27 Jun 2017 11:24:54 +0200 (CEST) Wido den Hollander wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been looking in the docs and the source code of BlueStore to figure out if it issues TRIM/Discard [0] on SSDs and I haven't been able to find an answer.
> >
> > Does BlueStore/BlueFS issue these commands to give back the space to the underlying device?
> >
> > For SSDs it improves both write performance and their lifespan, so it would be a very nice to have feature.
> >
> > SATA 3.1 has "Queued TRIM Command" which allows it to be 'async' in the controller.
> >
> If it were that last bit, I'd be for it, if it isn't then something that
> you can fully control akin to fstrim would be a much better idea.

Problem is that you can't run fstrim on BlueStore since it's not a mounted filesystem like XFS. Therefor TRIM/Discard would have to be issued by the OSD.

> That being said, I'm disinclined to deploy any SSDs that actually REQUIRE
> trim/discard to maintain their functional levels.

I wouldn't say require, but it never hurts to actually do a TRIM/Discard when it comes to the lifespan of a SSD.

However, I'm curious if this is actually in BlueStore or not.

Wido