Re: Multi Tenancy in Ceph RBD Cluster

On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 2:55 PM, Mayank Kumar <krmayankk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks David, few more questions:-
> - Is there a way to limit the capability of the keyring which is used to
> map/unmap/lock to only allow those operations and nothing else using that
> specific keyring

Since RBD is basically just a collection of helper logic that wraps
low-level RADOS commands, there is no (current) way to restrict
operations at such a granularity.

> - For a single pool, is there a way to generate multiple keyrings where a
> rbd cannot be mapped by tenant A using keyring A, if it was mapped using a
> different keyring created only for tenant B. I understand, that tenant A has
> to unlock and unmap it, which would happen during the garbage collection
> phase in our deployment.

Negative.

> - For us ,these are internal customers. Is 12-13 pools too much. I was
> thinking if this scales upto 100, we are good.
> - I heard something about ceph namespaces which would scale for different
> customers. Isnt that implemented yet ? I couldnt find a any documentation
> for it ?

Adding namespace support to RBD would probably be the best approach to
segregate tenants. However, this item is still on the backlog for a
future release since it's never really bubbled up to the top given the
current use-cases for RBD.

> On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 7:12 AM, David Turner <drakonstein@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> I don't know specifics on Kubernetes or creating multiple keyrings for
>> servers, so I'll leave those for someone else.  I will say that if you are
>> kernel mapping your RBDs, then the first tenant to do so will lock the RBD
>> and no other tenant can map it.  This is built into Ceph.  The original
>> tenant would need to unmap it for the second to be able to access it.  This
>> is different if you are not mapping RBDs and just using librbd to deal with
>> them.
>>
>> Multiple pools in Ceph are not free.  Pools are a fairly costly resource
>> in Ceph because data for pools is stored in PGs, the PGs are stored and
>> distributed between the OSDs in your cluster, and the more PGs an OSD has
>> the more memory requirements that OSD has.  It does not scale infinitely.
>> If you are talking about one Pool per customer on a dozen or less customers,
>> then it might work for your use case, but again it doesn't scale to growing
>> the customer base.
>>
>> RBD map could be run remotely via SSH, but that isn't what you were asking
>> about.  I don't know of any functionality that allows you to use a keyring
>> on server A to map an RBD on server B.
>>
>> "Ceph Statistics" is VERY broad.  Are you talking IOPS, disk usage,
>> throughput, etc?  disk usage is incredibly simple to calculate, especially
>> if the RBD has object-map enabled.  A simple rbd du rbd_name would give you
>> the disk usage per RBD and return in seconds.
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 2:00 AM Mayank Kumar <krmayankk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Ceph Users
>>> I am relatively new to Ceph and trying to Provision CEPH RBD Volumes
>>> using Kubernetes.
>>>
>>> I would like to know what are the best practices for hosting a multi
>>> tenant CEPH cluster. Specifically i have the following questions:-
>>>
>>> - Is it ok to share a single Ceph Pool amongst multiple tenants ?  If
>>> yes, how do you guarantee that volumes of one Tenant are not
>>> accessible(mountable/mapable/unmappable/deleteable/mutable) to other tenants
>>> ?
>>> - Can a single Ceph Pool have multiple admin and user keyrings generated
>>> for rbd create and rbd map commands ? This way i want to assign different
>>> keyrings to each tenant
>>>
>>> - can a rbd map command be run remotely for any node on which we want to
>>> mount RBD Volumes or it must be run from the same node on which we want to
>>> mount ? Is this going to be possible in the future ?
>>>
>>> - In terms of ceph fault tolerance and resiliency, is one ceph pool per
>>> customer a better design or a single pool must be shared with mutiple
>>> customers
>>> - In a single pool for all customers, how can we get the ceph statistics
>>> per customer ? Is it possible to somehow derive this from the RBD volumes ?
>>>
>>> Thanks for your responses
>>> Mayank

Jason