Re: Transitioning to Intel P4600 from P3700 Journals

Cristian and everyone else have expertly responded to the SSD capabilities, pros, and cons so I'll ignore that. I believe you were saying that it was risky to swap out your existing journals to a new journal device. That is actually a very simple operation that can be scripted to only take minutes per node with no risk to data.

You just stop the osd, flush the journal, delete the old journal partition, create the new partition with the same guid, initialize the journal, and start the osd.