Re: VMware + CEPH Integration

We have a fairly significant number of customers running our Ceph product (SUSE Enterprise Storage) which leverages horizontally scaling LIO based gateways.  There has been kernel work done to deal with some VMware specific requirements of the protocol.

Overall, performance is good.  There are a few different approaches to mitigate the timeouts that happen for OSD failure detection.

1 – tune the thresholds for failure detection

2 – use hardware raid

The first is the more desirable as it maintains purity of the Ceph environment.

I’ll second the plug for using KVM instead of VMware.  A hypervisor with a native protocol connector will outperform one going through a gateway any day.

David Byte

Sr. Technology Strategist

Alliances and SUSE Embedded

dbyte@xxxxxxxx