Re: ceph-deploy , osd_journal_size and entire disk partiton for journal

Why do you want a 70GB journal?  You linked to the documentation, so I'm assuming that you followed the formula stated to figure out how big your journal should be... "osd journal size = {2 * (expected throughput * filestore max sync interval)}".  I've never heard of a cluster that requires such a large journal size.  The default is there because it works for 99.999% of situations.  I actually can't think of a use case that would require a larger journal than 10GB, especially on an SSD.  The vast majority of the time the space on the SSD is practically empty.  It doesn't fill up like a cache or anything.  It's just a place that writes happen quickly and then quickly flushes it to the disk.

Using 100% of your SSD size is also a bad idea based on how SSD's recover from unwritable sectors... they mark them as dead and move the data to an unused sector.  The manufacturer overprovisions the drive in the factory, but you can help out by not using 100% of your available size.  If you have a 70GB SSD and only use 5-10GB, then you will drastically increase the life of the SSD as a journal.

If you really want to get a 70GB journal partition, then stop the osd, flush the journal, set up the journal partition manually, and make sure that /var/lib/ceph/osd/ceph-##/journal is pointing to the proper journal before starting it back up.

Unless you REALLY NEED a 70GB journal partition... don't do it.