Re: Ceph with Clos IP fabric

Hi,

>That only makes sense if you're running multiple ToR switches per rack for the public leaf network. Multiple public ToR switches per rack is not very common; most Clos crossbar networks run a single ToR switch. Several >guides on the topic (including Arista & Cisco) suggest that you use something like MLAG in a layer 2 domain between the switches if you need some sort of switch redundancy inside the rack. This increases complexity, and most people decide that it's not worth it and instead scale out across racks to gain the redundancy and survivability that multiple ToR offer.

If you use MLAG for L2 redundancy, you’ll still want 2 BGP sessions for L3 redundancy, so why not skipping the MLAG all together and terminating your BGP session on each ToR?

Judging by the routes (169.254.0.1), you are using BGP unnumebered?

It sounds like the “ip route get” output you get when using dummy0 is caused by a fallback on the default route, supposedly on eth0? Can check the exact routes received on server1 with “show ip bgp neighbors <neighbor> received-routes” once you enable “neighbor <neighbor> soft-reconfiguration inbound” and what’s installed in the table “ip route”?

Intrigued by this problem, I tried to reproduce it in a lab with virtualbox. I ran into the same problem.

Side note: Configuring the loopback IP on the physical interfaces is workable if you set it on **all** parallel links. Example with server1:

“iface enp3s0f0 inet static

  address 10.10.100.21/32

iface enp3s0f1 inet static

  address 10.10.100.21/32

iface enp4s0f0 inet static

  address 10.10.100.21/32

iface enp4s0f1 inet static

  address 10.10.100.21/32”

This should guarantee that the loopback ip is advertised if one of the 4 links to switch1 and switch2 is up, but I am not sure if that’s workable for ceph’s listening address.

Cheers,

Maxime