Adding a new rack to crush map without pain?

Hi,

Our current (jewel) CRUSH map has rack / host / osd (and the default
replication rule does step chooseleaf firstn 0 type rack). We're shortly
going to be adding some new hosts in new racks, and I'm wondering what
the least-painful way of getting the new osds associated with the
correct (new) rack will be.

We deploy with ceph-ansible, which can add bits of the form
[osd.104]
osd crush location = root=default rack=1 host=sto-1-1

to ceph.conf, but I think this doesn't help for new osds, since
ceph-disk will activate them before ceph.conf is fully assembled (and
trying to arrange it otherwise would be serious hassle).

Would making a custom crush location hook be the way to go? then it'd
say rack=4 host=sto-4-x and new osds would end up allocated to rack 4?
And would I need to have done ceph osd crush add-bucket rack4 rack
first, presumably?

I am planning on adding osds to the cluster one box at a time, rather
than going with the add-everything-at-crush-weight-0 route; if nothing
else it seems easier to automate. And I'd rather avoid having to edit
the crush map directly...

Any pointers welcomed :)

Regards,

Matthew