Re: Modification Time of RBD Images

While certainly that could be a feature that could be added to "rbd
info", it will take a while for this feature to reach full use since
it would rely on new versions of librbd / krbd.

Additionally, access and modified timestamps would require sending out
an update notification so that other clients notice the change. You
would also want to highly throttle any updates to the modification
timestamp -- rendering it a rough approximation of the true last
modification time. Finally, a client might not have access to update
an image when it opens it read-only --- rendering the last access
time, again, as a rough approximation.

IMHO, I think there are a lot of other, higher-priority backlog items
for RBD (and supporting services) [1] -- but I've added it to the
bottom of backlog.

[1] https://trello.com/b/ugTc2QFH/ceph-backlog

On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 3:27 AM, Dongsheng Yang
<dongsheng.yang@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi jason,
>
>     do you think this is a good feature for rbd?
> maybe we can implement a "rbd stat" command
> to show atime, mtime and ctime of an image.
>
> Yang
>

> On 03/23/2017 08:36 PM, Christoph Adomeit wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> no i did not enable the journalling feature since we do not use mirroring.
>>

>> On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 08:10:05PM +0800, Dongsheng Yang wrote:
>>>
>>> Did you enable the journaling feature?

Jason