Re: Recompiling source code - to find exact RPM

On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 6:49 PM, nokia ceph <nokiacephusers@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Brad, cool now we are on the same track :)
>
> So whatever change we made after this location src/* as it mapped to
> respective rpm correct?
>
> For eg:-
> src/osd/* -- ceph-osd
> src/common - ceph-common
> src/mon  - ceph-mon
> src/mgr   - ceph-mgr

I think this is true in most, if not all, cases.

> Since we are using bluestore with kraken, I though to disable the below
> warning while triggering `ceph -s`
>
> ~~~
> WARNING: the following dangerous and experimental features are enabled:
> ~~~

Can I ask why you want to disable this warning?

> Here I made a comment in this file
>
>>vim src/common/ceph_context.cc
> 307 //      if (!cct->_experimental_features.empty())
> 308 //      lderr(cct) << "WARNING: the following dangerous and experimental
> features are enabled: "
> 309 //                 << cct->_experimental_features << dendl;

Right.

> As per my assumption, the change should reflect in this binary
> "ceph-common"

libceph-common specifically.

> But when I closely looked on librados library as these warning showing here
> also.
> #strings -a /usr/lib64/librados.so.2 | grep dangerous
> WARNING: the following dangerous and experimental features are enabled: -->
>
> Then I conclude for this change ceph-common and librados were required.
>
> Please correct me if I'm wrong.

So I looked at this on current master built on Fedora and see the following.

$ for lib in $(find . \! -type l -type f -name lib\*); do strings $lib|grep "following dangerous and experimenta l"; if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then echo $lib; fi; done
WARNING: the following dangerous and experimental features are enabled:
./libcephd.a
WARNING: the following dangerous and experimental features are enabled:
./libceph-common.so.0
WARNING: the following dangerous and experimental features are enabled:
./libcommon.a

So in my case the only shared object that has this string is libceph-common.
However, that library is dynamically linked to libceph-common.

$ ldd librados.so.2.0.0|grep libceph-common
        libceph-common.so.0 => /home/brad/working/src/ceph/build/lib/libceph-common.so.0 (0x00007faa2cf42000)

I checked a rhel version and sure enough the string is there, because in that
version on rhel/CentOS we statically linked libcommon.a into librados IIRC.

# ldd librados.so.2.0.0|grep libceph-common
#

So if the string shows up in your librados then I'd suggest it is also
statically linked ([1] we only changed this fairly recently) and you will need
to replace it to reflect your change.

[1] https://github.com/ceph/ceph/commit/8f7643792c9e6a3d1ba4a06ca7d09b0de9af1443

--
Cheers,