Re: Mirroring data between pools on the same cluster

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 11:55 AM, Jason Dillaman <jdillama@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 1:02 PM, Adam Carheden <carheden@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Ceph can mirror data between clusters
>> (http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/rbd/rbd-mirroring/), but can it
>> mirror data between pools in the same cluster?
>
> Unfortunately, that's a negative. The rbd-mirror daemon currently
> assumes that the local and remote pool names are the same. Therefore,
> you cannot mirror images between a pool named "X" and a pool named
> "Y".
I figured as much from the command syntax. Am I going about this all
wrong? There have got to be lots of orgs with two room that back each
other up. How do others solve that problem?

How about a single 10Gb fiber link (which is, unfortunately, used for
everything, not just CEPH)? Any advice on estimating if/when latency
over a single link will become a problem?

> At the current time, I think three separate clusters would be the only
> thing that could satisfy all use-case requirements. While I have never
> attempted this, I would think that you should be able to run two
> clusters on the same node (e.g. the HA cluster gets one OSD per node
> in both rooms and the roomX cluster gets the remainder of OSDs in each
> node in its respective room).

Great idea. I guess that could be done either by munging some port
numbers and non-default config file locations or by running CEPH OSDs
and monitors on VMs. Any compelling reason for one way over the other?

--
Adam Carheden
Systems Administrator