Current CPU recommendations for storage nodes with multiple HDDs

> I can happily run 12 disks on a 4 core 3.6Ghz Xeon E3. I've never seen
> average CPU usage over 15-20%. The only time CPU hits 100% is for the ~10
> seconds when the OSD boots up. Running Jewel BTW.
>
> So, I would say that during normal usage you should have more than enough
> CPU power, not sure why you start getting flapping. Do you have the correct
> amount of PG's for the number of OSD's?

Flapping only occurs during recovery, when an entire server (with 24
OSDs) is down for a while and then comes up again.
We have 159 PGs per OSD.

Maybe this is a regression in Kraken, looks like at least one other
user of this list has the same issue:
http://lists.ceph.com/pipermail/ceph-users-ceph.com/2017-February/016483.html

Thanks,
Andreas