Basic file replication and redundancy...

Hi,

I am new to Ceph and just trying to get to grips with all the different
concepts.

What I would like to achieve is the following:
1. We have two sites, a main and a backup site. The main site is used
actively for production, and the backup site is there for disaster recovery
but is also used for debugging issues. In particular, the files of the
production site are available on the backup site as well and can be
accessed.
2. We would like to have near-real time replication from main to backup
site of a big file system. The files on the backup site should remain
read-only. In case of a disaster, the backup files should become writable
but this is not a strict requirement. The network connection from main to
backup is a slow(er) WAN connection.
3. A replication level of 2 (all files stored twice) is sufficient for the
main environment and a replication level of 1 (only one copy) would even be
sufficient for the backup (although 2 would also be good).
4. Replication on the main site is done by two machines where each machine
has all the files. When one of the machines goes down, the other one can
still continue to read/write the data
5. FIles are stored in clusters where different clusters are logically
independent groups of files.

Now, looking at the concepts of Cepth I am wondering what would be a better
choice. Using just the block device would be easier to setup in Ceph I
guess, but then access to the files by different machines on the main and
backup environment would be more complex since it would require a cluster
filesystem suse as GFS or OCFS2. So therefore the setup would probably
resort to the Ceph Filesystem.

Looking at the mirroring from main to backup site this would require the
RBD mirroring functionality I suppose but this replicates at the block
device level. Would it still be possible to access the filesystem on the
backup environment in this way?

Looking at the main setup, I would use 2 OSDs per cluster and 3 monitoring
processes to deal with one a failure or one machine right? One solution I
am thinking of is to have one monitoring process per OSD (co-located with
the OSD perhaps) and then one additional one in the network.

What are your thoughts about this? I am assuming this is a relatively
standard set of requirement with file system redundancy on a single site
and replication of files over a WAN from a main to a backup site. Are there
any standard recipes/blueprints that I could follow to set this up?

Cheers
  Erik