Re: Experience with 5k RPM/archive HDDs

Hi,

Interesting feedback!

 > In my opinion the SMR can be used exclusively for the RGW.
 > Unless it's something like a backup/archive cluster or pool with little to none concurrent R/W access, you're likely to run out of IOPS (again) long before filling these monsters up.

That’s exactly the use case I am considering those archive HDDs for: something like AWS Glacier, a form of offsite backup probably via radosgw. The classic Seagate enterprise class HDD provide “too much” performance for this use case, I could live with ¼ of the performance for that price point.

Cheers,
Maxime

On 03/02/17 09:40, "ceph-users on behalf of Wido den Hollander" <ceph-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of wido@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

    > Op 3 februari 2017 om 8:39 schreef Christian Balzer <chibi@xxxxxxx>:
    >

    > Hello,
    >
    > On Fri, 3 Feb 2017 10:30:28 +0300 Irek Fasikhov wrote:
    >
    > > Hi, Maxime.
    > >
    > > Linux SMR is only starting with version 4.9 kernel.
    > >
    > What Irek said.
    >
    > Also, SMR in general is probably a bad match for Ceph.
    > Drives like that really want to be treated more like a tape than anything
    > else.

    Yes, they are damn slow.

    > In general, do you really need all this space, what's your use case?
    >
    > Unless it's something like a backup/archive cluster or pool with little to
    > none concurrent R/W access, you're likely to run out of IOPS (again) long
    > before filling these monsters up.

    I fully agree. These large disks have very low IOps specs and will probably work very, very bad with Ceph.

    Wido