slow requests break performance

Hi list,

I'm having trouble with slow requests, they have a noticeable impact on the performance. I'd like to find out, what the root cause is, I guess there are a lot of possible causes. But I'll just describe what I'm seeing and hopefully someone can give advices. I just counted the occurences of "slow request" in the ceph.log in the last couple of days, all OSDs are affected, but host3 stands out:

osd.0 	host1 	447
osd.1 	host1 	59
osd.2 	host1 	1570
osd.13 	host1 	164
osd.19 	host1 	25

osd.3 	host2 	618
osd.4 	host2 	190
osd.5 	host2 	240
osd.9 	host2 	70
osd.10 	host2 	129

osd.6 	host3 	4323
osd.7 	host3 	2116
osd.8 	host3 	2321
osd.12 	host3 	5238
osd.11 	host3 	2019

osd.14 	host4 	2869
osd.15 	host4 	2024
osd.16 	host4 	2399
osd.17 	host4 	869
osd.18 	host4 	660

Hosts 1 to 3 have also a monitor running and many other services. Currently, host4 has nothing else to do than running its OSDs, and although the devices are bcached (the others aren't yet), it also shows a significant amount of slow requests. But our monitoring shows that this server is almost bored.

But on host3 we experience load peaks of 18 and higher. This server has not the best hardware and it has many other tasks, so we are wondering if this server can cause all the slow requests. Is it possible that if host3 has a high load or a higher transfer, it produces slow requests which are somehow inherited by the other nodes? How do you deal with these slow requests?

Thanks for any help!

Regards,
Eugen

--
Eugen Block                             voice   : +49-40-559 51 75
NDE Netzdesign und -entwicklung AG      fax     : +49-40-559 51 77

        Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrates: Angelika Mozdzen
          Sitz und Registergericht: Hamburg, HRB 90934
                  Vorstand: Jens-U. Mozdzen
                   USt-IdNr. DE 814 013 983