Re: Analysing ceph performance with SSD journal, 10gbe NIC and 2 replicas -Hammer release

On 9-1-2017 23:58, Brian Andrus wrote:
> Sorry for spam... I meant D_SYNC.

That term does not run any lights in Google...
So I would expect it has to O_DSYNC.
(https://www.sebastien-han.fr/blog/2014/10/10/ceph-how-to-test-if-your-ssd-is-suitable-as-a-journal-device/)

Now you tell me there is a SSDs that does take correct action with
O_SYNC but not with O_DSYNC... That makes no sense to me. It is a
typical solution in the OS as speed trade-off versus a bit less
consistent FS.

Either a device actually writes its data persistenly (either in silicon
cells, or keeps it in RAM with a supercapacitor), or it does not.
Something else I can not think off. Maybe my EE background is sort of in
the way here. And I know that is rather hard to write correct SSD
firmware, I seen lots of firmware upgrades to actually fix serious
corner cases.

Now the second thing is how hard does a drive lie when being told that
the request write is synchronised. And Oke is only returned when data is
in stable storage, and can not be lost.

If there is a possibility that a sync write to a drive is not
persistent, then that is a serious breach of the sync write contract.
There will always be situations possible that these drives will lose data.
And if data is no longer in the journal, because the writing process
thinks the data is on stable storage it has deleted the data from the
journal. In this case that data is permanently lost.

Now you have a second chance (even a third) with Ceph, because data is
stored multiple times. And you can go to another OSD and try to get it back.

--WjW