Re: High OSD apply latency right after new year (the leap second?)

On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 11:59 PM, Craig Chi <craigchi@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> I'm glad to know that it happened not only to me.
> Though it is unharmful, it seems like kind of bug...
> Are there any Ceph developers who know how exactly is the implementation of
> "ceph osd perf" command?
> Is the leap second really responsible for this behavior?
> Thanks.

Since no one else has shared any ideas, I'll just say I am befuddled
by this scenario. I would assume from the timing it has to do with the
leap second.

I see when I do this on one of our local nodes that it has a sum of
4295929408.753196719 and a count of, for ~47 seconds each. But a
sibling OSD on the same host has 23391518 and 190575.354100817 (about
8ms, as expected). That first sum is startlingly close to
2^32=4294967296 — so I'm thinking an op occurred during the leap
second and either the clock or our math went back in time and we had a
wraparound error. ;)

You can probably clear it by resetting the perf counters.
-Greg