Re: RBD mirroring

On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 7:24 AM, Klemen Pogacnik <klemen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm playing with rbd mirroring with openstack. The final idea is to use it
> for disaster recovery of DB server running on Openstack cluster, but would
> like to test this functionality first.
> I've prepared this configuration:
> - 2 openstack clusters (devstacks)
> - 2 ceph clusters (one node clusters)
> Remote Ceph is used as a backend for Cinder service. Each devstack has its
> own Ceph cluster. Mirroring was enabled for volumes pool, and rbd-mirror
> daemon was started.
> When I create new cinder volume on devstack1, the same rbd storage appeared
> on both Ceph clusters, so it seems, mirroring is working.
> Now I would like to see this storage as a Cinder volume on devstack2 too. Is
> it somehow possible to do that?

This level is HA/DR is not currently built-in to OpenStack (it's
outside the scope of Ceph). There are several strategies you could use
to try to replicate the devstack1 database to devstack2. Here is a
presentation from OpenStack Summit Austin [1] re: this subject.

> The next question is, how to make switchover. On Ceph it can easily be done
> by demote and promote commands, but then the volumes are still not seen on
> Devstack2, so I can't use it.
> On open stack there is cinder failover-host command, which is, as I can
> understand, only useful for configuration with one openstack and two ceph
> clusters. Any idea how to make switchover with my configuration.
> Thanks a lot for help!

Correct -- Cinder's built-in volume replication feature is just a set
of hooks available for backends that already support
replication/mirroring. The hooks for Ceph RBD are scheduled to be
included in the next release of OpenStack, but as you have discovered,
it really only protects against a storage failure (where you can
switch from Ceph cluster A to Ceph cluster B), but does not help with
losing your OpenStack data center.

[1] https://www.openstack.org/videos/video/protecting-the-galaxy-multi-region-disaster-recovery-with-openstack-and-ceph

--
Jason