Re: 2x replication: A BIG warning

Hi,

The assumptions are:
- OSD nearly full
- HDD vendor not hides real LSE (latent sector error) rate like 1 in 10^18 under "not more than 1 unrecoverable error in 10^15 bits read"

In case of disk (OSD) failure Ceph have to read copy of the disk from other nodes (to restore redundancy). More you read - more chances that LSE will happen on one of the nodes Ceph is reading from (all of them have the same LSE rate). In case of LSE Ceph cannot recover data because the error is unrecoverable and there is no other places to read the data from (in contrast to size=3 where third copy can be used to recover from the error).