Re: 2x replication: A BIG warning

Hi,

Let me add a little math to your warning: with LSE rate of 1 in 10^15 on modern 8 TB disks there is 5,8% chance to hit LSE during recovery of 8 TB disk. So, every 18th recovery will probably fail. Similarly to RAID6 (two parity disks) size=3 mitigates the problem.
By the way - why it is a common opinion that using RAID (RAID6) with Ceph (size=2) is bad idea? It is cheaper than size=3, all hardware disk errors are handled by RAID (instead of OS/Ceph), decreases OSD count, adds some battery-backed cache and increases performance of single OSD.