Re: is Ceph suitable for small scale deployments?

Hello,

On Mon, 05 Dec 2016 19:33:22 +0100 joakim@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a question regarding if Ceph is suitable for small scale
> deployments.

Depends on your use case, in general Ceph wants to be scaled out.

> Lets say I have two machines, connected with gbit lan.

Unless you're trying to learn Ceph and are willing to deal with the
shortcomings (for example loosing one node will result in total
inaccessible data w/o a 3rd MON node) resulting from such a minimalistic
setup, check out DRBD.

> I want to share data between them, like an ordinary NFS
> share, but with Ceph instead.

Again, DRBD and with either a fail-over FS or cluster aware FS or HA-NFS
cluster setup.

Sharing data is not what Ceph (RBD) is about and CephFS is overkill.

> My idea is that with Ceph I would have redundancy with two machines
> having complete copies of the data. I also imagine that the
> performance could be quite okay in principle, depending on how Ceph
> works, which I'm not quite sure of.

See above.

> A use case would be to share my home directory on two machines, or
> three maybe.

Again, see above.
Several choices with 2 nodes, NFS if 3.

> A workload I'm concerned with is software builds. Would Ceph be
> competetive in this use-case as compared with a local disk?
Not by a long shot.

>As far as
> I can tell Ceph doesn't use the "eventual consistency" approach. Does
> that mean that all writes have to sync over all the nodes in the Ceph
> cluster, before the write can be considered complete? Or is one node
> enough?

Al nodes by default.

Christian

chibi@xxxxxxx   	Global OnLine Japan/Rakuten Communications