Re: rbd_default_features

On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 10:31 PM, Florent B <florent@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 12/01/2016 10:26 PM, Tomas Kukral wrote:
>>
>> I wasn't successful trying to find table with indexes of features ...
>> does anybody know?
>
> In sources :
> https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/master/src/include/rbd/features.h

There is a ticket for it with a nice description [1], but it looks like
it hasn't made it to the upstream docs...

"The features can be specified via the command-line when creating images
or the default features can be specified in the Ceph config file via
'rbd_default_features = <sum of feature numeric values>'

- Layering: Layering enables you to use cloning
  Config numeric value: 1
  CLI value: layering
- Striping v2: Striping spreads data across multiple objects. Striping
  helps with parallelism for sequential read/write workloads.
  Config numeric value: 2
  CLI value: striping
- Exclusive locking: When enabled, it requires a client to get a lock
  on an object before making a write. Exclusive lock should only be
  enabled when a single client is accessing an image at the same time.
  Config numeric value: 4
  CLI value: exclusive-lock
- Object map: Object map support depends on exclusive lock support.
  Block devices are thin provisioned -- meaning, they only store data
  that actually exists. Object map support helps track which objects
  actually exist (have data stored on a drive). Enabling object map
  support speeds up I/O operations for cloning; importing and exporting
  a sparsely populated image; and deleting.
  Config numeric value: 8
  CLI value: object-map
- Fast-diff: Fast-diff support depends on object map support and
  exclusive lock support. It adds another property to the object map,
  which makes it much faster to generate diffs between snapshots of an
  image, and the actual data usage of a snapshot much faster.
  Config numeric value: 16
  CLI value: fast-diff
- Deep-flatten: Deep-flatten makes rbd flatten work on all the
  snapshots of an image, in addition to the image itself. Without it,
  snapshots of an image will still rely on the parent, so the parent
  will not be delete-able until the snapshots are deleted. Deep-flatten
  makes a parent independent of its clones, even if they have
  snapshots.
  Config numeric value: 32
  CLI value: deep-flatten
- Journaling: Journaling support depends on exclusive lock support.
  Journaling records all modifications to an image in the order they
  occur. RBD mirroring utilizes the journal to replicate a crash
  consistent image to a remote cluster.
  Config numeric value: 64
  CLI value: journaling"

[1] http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/15000