Re: Ceph Volume Issue

Thanks everyone for your inputs.

Below is a small writeup which I wanted to share with everyone in Ceph User community.

Summary of the Ceph Issue with Volumes

Our Setup

As mentioned earlier in our setup we have Openstack MOS 6.0 integrated with Ceph Storage cluster.

The version details are as follows

Ceph version : 0.80.7

Libvirt version : 1.2.2

Openstack Version : Juno (Mirantis 6.0)

Statement of Problem

When we attached multiple volumes( greater than 6) to  VM instance ,similar to adding multiple disks on a Hadoop Baremetal. And tried to write to multiple disks simultaneously for example via dd command "dd if=/dev/zero of=/disk{1..6}/test bs=4K count=10485760".

Observing the "vmstat 1" on the VM instance, we saw that over a period of time the "bo (block out)" value started to trickle down to zero.

As soon as the "bo value" reached zero, the load on the VM instance spiked and system became unresponsive. We had to reboot the VM instance to recover.

Also when we checked all the "dd" processes were in "D uninterruptible sleep state".

Our investigate and Probable Resolution

It was from the /var/log/syslog on the compute nodes on which the VM instance was running where we found an error message "Too many open files".

Example below

ABCD = PID of qemu instance

<8>Nov 18 04:56:49 node-XXX qemu-system-x86_64: 2016-11-18 04:56:49.939702 7fe9b569d700 -1 -- <COMPUTE IP>:0/70<ABCD> >> <CEPH MONITOR>:6830/14356 pipe(0x7fede65dcbf0 sd=

-1 :0 s=1 pgs=0 cs=0 l=1 c=0x7fede37fc8c0).connect couldn't created socket (24) Too many open files

When we checked the limit for number of open files from proc we found below

XXXXXX@node-XXXX:~# cat /proc/<ABCD>/limits

Max open files            1024                 4096                 files

On this basis ,we increased the open file decriptor limit for libvirt-bin process from 1024 to 65536.

We had to put the below limit commands in /etc/default/libvirt-bin

ulimit -Hn 65536

ulimit -Sn 65536

We had to reboot the qemu instances via nova stop and nova start for the new limits to take effect.

This workaround has solved our issue for now and the above mentioned test cases are now successful.

We also checked different points below which were indeed helpful in narrowing the issue

·         Was the issue limited to a specific type of Linux OS (Ubuntu or CentOS)

·         Was the issue limited to specific kernel. We upgraded the kernel but still the issue persisted.

·         Was the issue due to any limiting resources (CPU , RAM, NETWORK , DISK IO) on either the VM instance or Compute Node.

·         We also tried to tune kernel parameters such as dirty_ratio , background_dirty_ratio etc. But no improvement was observed.

·         Also we observed that issue was NOT the number of volumes attached but the total amount of IO performed.

As per our understanding this is a good resolution for now but it may need monitoring and appropriate tuning.

Please do let me know if there are any questions/concerns or pointers J

Thanks once again.

Thanks,

Mehul