Re: forward cache mode support?

On Mon, Nov 7, 2016 at 2:39 AM, Henrik Korkuc <lists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> trying to activate forward mode for cache pool results in "Error EPERM:
> 'forward' is not a well-supported cache mode and may corrupt your data.
> pass --yes-i-really-mean-it to force."
>
> Change for this message was introduced few months ago and I didn't manage to
> find reason for that? Were there cases of data corruption or it's just
> because some forwarded ops may fail (e.g. rewrite on EC)? Also there are
> examples in docs of forward mode use before deactivating pool, etc. So how
> bad it is?
>
> I want to use it to forward CephFS writes to EC pool (sequential writes, no
> rewrites).

Cache forwarding has never been well-tested and I haven't watched
closely but I think the RADOS team identified some specific scenarios
it could fail under. I would definitely not recommend trying to use it
in combination with EC pools under CephFS; it might work but no part
of the system is trying to cooperate to make it behave.
-Greg