Re: 10Gbit switch advice for small ceph cluster upgrade

Erik McCormick writes:
> We use Edge-Core 5712-54x running Cumulus Linux. Anything off their
> compatibility list would be good though. The switch is 48 10G sfp+
> ports. We just use copper cables with attached sfp. It also had 6 40G
> ports. The switch cost around $4800 and the cumulus license is about
> 3k for a perpetual license.

Similar here, except we use Quanta switches (T5032-LY6).

SFP+ slots and DAC cables.  Actually our switches are 32*40GE, and we
use "fan-out" DAC cables (QSFP on one side, 4 SFP+ on the other).

Compared to 10GBaseT (RJ45), DAC cables are thicker, which may
complicate cable management a little.  On the other hand I think DAC
still needs less power than 10GBaseT.  And with the 40G setup, we have
good port density and a smooth migration path to 40GE.  We already use
40GE for our leaf-spine uplinks.  Another advantage for us is that we
can use a single SKU for both leaf and spine switches.

The Cumulus licenses are a bit more expensive for those 40GE switches
(as are the switches themselves), but it's still a good deal for us.

Maybe these days it makes sense to look at 100GE switches in preference
to 40GE; 100GE ports can normally be used as 2*50GE, 4*25GE, 1*40GE or
4*10GE as well, so the upgrade paths seem even nicer.  And the prices
are getting competitive I think.
--
Simon.