From: Christian Balzer [mailto:chibi@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 24 October 2016 11:04
To: ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: John Spray <jspray@xxxxxxxxxx>; Ashley Merrick <ashley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Monitoring Overhead

Hello,

On Mon, 24 Oct 2016 10:46:31 +0100 John Spray wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 4:21 AM, Ashley Merrick <ashley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >

> > This may come across as a simple question but just wanted to check.
> >

> > I am looking at importing live data from my cluster via ceph -s
> > e.t.c into a graphical graph interface so I can monitor performance
> > / iops / e.t.c overtime.
> >

> > I am looking to pull this data from one or more monitor nodes, when
> > the data is retrieved for the ceph -s output is this information
> > that the monitor already has locally or is there an overhead that is
> > applied to the whole cluster to retrieve this data every time the command is executed?
>
> It's all from the local state on the mons, the OSDs aren't involved at
> all in responding to the status command.

That said, as mentioned before on this ML, the output of "ceph -s" is a sample from a window and only approaching something reality if sampled and divided of a long period.

If you need something that involves "what happened on OSD x at time y", collectd and graphite (or deviations of if) are your friends, but they do cost you a CPU cycle or two.
OTOH, if your OSDs or MONs were to choke from that kind of monitoring, you're walking on very thin ice already.

Christian

> Cheers,
> John
>

> > Reason I ask is I want to make sure I am not applying unnecessary
> > overhead and load onto all OSD node’s to retrieve this data at a
> > near live view, I fully understand it will apply a small amount of
> > load / CPU on the local MON to process the command, I am more interesting in overall cluster.
> >

> > Thanks,
> >
> > Ashley

Christian Balzer        Network/Systems Engineer
chibi@xxxxxxx        Global OnLine Japan/Rakuten Communications
http://www.gol.com/

Alex Gorbachev
Storcium