Re: Upgrade from Hammer to Jewel

> We have an Openstack which use Ceph for Cinder and Glance. Ceph is in
> Hammer release and we need to upgrade to Jewel. My question is :
> are the Hammer clients compatible with the Jewel servers ? (upgrade of Mon
> then Ceph servers first)
> As the upgrade of the Ceph client need a reboot of all the instances on
> each openstack hypervisor, we will have to keep for a while our client in
> hammer version

Chances are that you don't strictly need to do that.

1) You can update the Ceph packages on the hypervisor to stage the update without affecting running instances.

2) Be careful using the term "reboot".  If the tenant just does "shutdown -r" or equivalent, that will not restart the qemu or whatever process.  An API stop / start of the instance at the OpenStack layer would be needed to get a new process

3) Live migration accomplishes the same goal, so if your instances are migrate-able, you can shift them around until they all have a new process.

In any event, you might take the opportunity to apply other updates, eg. if your Nova config isn't properly set up to enable the Ceph client admin socket, now's the time.  With the socket operational one can query instances to ensure that they're all running the new code before updating the back end incompatibly, eg. setting straw2 when there are clients with Hammer packages installed but still running Firefly.

-- Anthony