From: ceph-users [mailto:ceph-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of J David
Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2016 12:46 PM
To: ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Out-of-date RBD client libraries

What are the potential consequences of using out-of-date client libraries with RBD against newer clusters?

Specifically, what are the potential ill-effects of using Firefly client libraries (0.80.7 and 0.80.8) to access Hammer or Jewel
(10.2.3) clusters?

The upgrading instructions (
http://docs.ceph.com/docs/jewel/install/upgrading-ceph/ ) don’t actually mention clients, just giving the recommended order as:
ceph-deploy, mons, osds, mds, object gateways.

Are long-running RBD clients (like Qemu virtual machines) placed at risk of instability or data corruption if they are not updated and restarted before, during, or after such an upgrade?

If so, what are the potential consequences, and where in the process should they be upgraded to avoid those consequences?

Thanks for any advice!