Re: running xfs_fsr on ceph OSDs

Hello,

On Mon, 24 Oct 2016 09:41:37 +0200 mj wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have been running xfs on our servers for many years, and we are used
> to run a scheduled xfs_fsr during the weekend.
>
> Lately we have started using proxmox / ceph, and I'm wondering if we
> would benefit (like 'the old days') from scheduled xfs_fsr runs?
>
> Our OSDs are xfs, plus the VMs are also mostly running xfs. Both of
> which (in theory anyway) could be defragmented.
>
> Google doesn't tell me a lot, therefore I'm posing the question here:
>
> What is consensus here? Is it worth running xfs_fsr on VMs and OSDs? (or
> perhaps just one of both?)

Only using XFS on some test OSDs, but the experience there and the
anecdotes here suggest that it's quite prone to fragmentation over time.

Of course instead of just running xfs_fsr willy-nilly, you might want to
verify that fact for yourself and pick a schedule/time based on those
results.

And OSDs only, not within the VMs.

Christian
chibi@xxxxxxx   	Global OnLine Japan/Rakuten Communications