Re: Merging CephFS data pools

Hi,

I've managed to move the data from the old pool to the new one using some shell scripts and cp/rsync. Recursive getfattr on the mount point does not reveal any file with a layout refering the old pool.

Nonetheless 486 objects are left in the pool:
POOLS:
NAME ID USED %USED MAX AVAIL OBJECTS
    cephfs_two_rep_data      12      1695M         0 48740G          486

The majority of objects seem to belong to one file:
# rados -p cephfs_two_rep_data ls | grep -c 10000be9363.
414

But the first chunk of this file is missing (no 10000be9363.00000000 object in that pool):
# rados -p cephfs_two_rep_data ls | grep 10000be9363 | sort
10000be9363.00000262
10000be9363.00000263
10000be9363.00000264
10000be9363.00000265
10000be9363.000003fe
10000be9363.000003ff

I suspect these objects are a remainder of a file deletion that was interrupted. The remaining objects are the first chunks of files, all well below the default 4 MB stripe size (-> named XYZ.00000000). All but one do not have any xattr associated with them (no parent, no layout). In case of the single object with parent xattr it seems to be a stray object. I want to get rid of that data pool, but I would also like to avoid wrecking the filesystem.

Do make a long story short:
What's the best way to verify that a certain inode id is not used/referenced within cephfs anymore? Is it possible to dump all strays to verify that the single stray object in the pool is also an orphan and can be removed (MDS cache size is 5.000.000, thus dumping the cache will result in a service interruption)?
Do the filesystem recovery tools detect orphaned objects in data pools?

Regards,
Burkhard