Re: CephFS and calculation of directory size

On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 11:00 AM, Ilya Moldovan <il.moldovan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks, John
>
> But why listing files in a directory with about a million files takes
> about 30 minutes?

Unless you've enabled experimental features, you're trying to read in
a single 1-million-inode directory object — and it sounds like the MDS
is succeeding. But by default the MDS cache size is only 100k
dentries, so it immediately trims most of the directory out of cache;
then the client submits a request for the next chunk and it does it
again, etc etc.

So, assuming you have the RAM, try setting "mds cache size = 2000000"
or something, then see how it behaves. And consider not trying to
create directories that large if you don't need to — we have plans for
handling it much more gracefully in the future (in fact the code is
one of the experimental features) but it's not enabled in Jewel.
-Greg