Re: NFS gateway

On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 3:30 PM, jan hugo prins <jprins@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> One of the use-cases I'm currently testing is the possibility to replace
> a NFS storage cluster using a Ceph cluster.
>
> The idea I have is to use a server as an intermediate gateway. On the
> client side it will expose a NFS share and on the Ceph side it will
> mount the CephFS using mount.ceph. The whole network that holds the Ceph
> environment is 10G connected and when I use the same server as S3
> gateway I can store files rather quickly. When I use the same server as
> a NFS gateway putting data on the Ceph cluster is really very slow.
>
> The reason we want to do this is that we want to create a dedicated Ceph
> storage network and have all clients that need some data access either
> use S3 or NFS to access the data. I want to do this this way because I
> don't want to give the clients in some specific networks full access to
> the Ceph filesystem.
>
> Has anyone tried this before? Is this the way to go, or are there better
> ways to fix this?

Exporting kernel client mounts with the kernel NFS server is tested as
part of the regular testing we do on CephFS, so you should find it
pretty stable.  This is definitely a legitimate way of putting a layer
of security between your application servers and your storage cluster.

NFS Ganesha is also an option, that is not as well tested (yet) but it
has the advantage that you can get nice up to date Ceph client code
without worrying about upgrading the kernel.  I'm not sure if there
are recent ganesha packages with the ceph FSAL enabled available
online, so you may need to compile your own.

When you say you tried using the server as an NFS gateway, was that
with kernel NFS + kernel CephFS?  What kind of activities did you find
were running slowly (big files, small files, etc...)?

John