Re: Single Threaded performance for Ceph MDS

On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 1:12 PM, Wido den Hollander <wido@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Recent threads on on the ML revealed that the Ceph MDS can benefit from using a fast single threaded CPU.
>
> Some tasks inside the MDS are still single-threaded operations, so the faster the code executes the better.
>
> Keeping that in mind I started to look at some benchmarks: http://cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html
>
> The fastest server CPU there is the "Intel Xeon E3-1281 v3 @ 3.70GHz".
>
> This is a 4-core CPU, however, it can only address 32GB of memory. Which is not much in most situations.
>
> The "Intel Xeon E5-1650 v4 @ 3.60GHz" however would also be a good candidate. It can address up to 1.5TB of DDR4 memory. The 6-cores should also be sufficient.
>
> Is this a good assumption to make?
>
> - E5-1650 v4 @ 3.60GHz
> - 256GB of memory
> - Disable all CPU powersaving (c-state to 0)
>
> Does this make any sense for a Ceph MDS?

Recent testing saw creates peak at around 5000 ops/s on an E5-2650
(Ben England) and a similar number on E5-2680 (eBay).  I don't think
anyone has tried with a higher clocked single socket CPU -- it's
reasonable to expect some improvement, although it might not be
dramatic.  I would love to see the results.

John