Re: Filling up ceph past 75%

Hello,

On Sun, 28 Aug 2016 21:23:41 -0500 Sean Sullivan wrote:

> I've seen it in the past in the ML but I don't remember seeing it lately.
> We recently had an ceph engineer come out from RH and he mentioned he
> hasn't seen this kind of disparity either which made me jump on here to
> double check as I thought it was a well known thing.

As I said, this looks extreme.
But w/o all OSD weights being equal and a sanity check of the CRUSH rules,
it may be "working as expected".

> So I'm not crazy and  the roughly 30% difference is normal?
That's roughly what I'd expect to see from default clusters, yes.
On a 4 node, 24 OSD cluster w/o any weight changes (and all OSDs having the
same weight) I see between 76 and 106 PGs per OSD.
And this is RBD only, just one pool, so all these PGs are relevant when it
comes to space usage.

Not perfect, but a far cry from what you mentioned below.

You may benefit from more PGs in general (you seem to be well below 100
per OSD given the output of your osdmaptool run) and having the "correct"
number of them assigned to your largest pool(s).

>I've tried the
> osd by utilization function before (with other clusters)  and have been
> left with broken pgs(ones that seem to be stuck back filling) before so
> I've stayed away from it.
That of course shouldn't happen, unless you were approaching corner cases
(tunables and too few OSDs for CRUSH to make up its mind).

Christian