My first CEPH cluster

I learned of Ceph only a few weeks ago, think the concept is really cool.

I wanted to try my hand at it, but did not want to try setting it all up with VM boxes.

So I put together a system using 7 physical nodes, using little ARM based computers.

I got four Banana Pi, which have one SATA port, 1gb of ram.  Boots of 8gb SD card.  These are Ceph OSD nodes with 3tb hard drives.

I got three ODROID-C2 units to use as Ceph mon, 2gb of ram, 8gb SD cards for booting and 64gb of eMMC memory.

I got a basic cluster up, but things go bad quick.  I can't keep the OSD nodes up, the OSD logs look like mumbo jumbo to me for the most part.

Photo of the little setup available here if you are interested.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12473059/Ceph/1stCluster.jpg

I learned a few things and am going to blow everything away and start again.

One question I have for the group is this.

Do you really need to make an entry in ceph.conf telling the cluster of the location of each osd.X ?

[osd.1]
        host    =       node-01

[osd.2]
        host    =       node-02

[osd.3]
        host    =       node-03

I used ceph-deploy to set everything up and it did not add these entries.  I have seen online some people mention it, some people do not.  I looked up some sample ceph.conf and some have it and some do not.

Seems like adding that would be a major PITA anytime you make a change to the cluster you would need to update that file on all nodes.