Re: How can we repair OSD leveldb?

Hello,

On Wed, 17 Aug 2016 16:54:41 -0500 Dan Jakubiec wrote:

> Hi Wido,
>
> Thank you for the response:
>
> > On Aug 17, 2016, at 16:25, Wido den Hollander <wido@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> >> Op 17 augustus 2016 om 17:44 schreef Dan Jakubiec <dan.jakubiec@xxxxxxxxx>:
> >>

> >> Hello, we have a Ceph cluster with 8 OSD that recently lost power to all 8 machines.  We've managed to recover the XFS filesystems on 7 of the machines, but the OSD service is only starting on 1 of them.
> >>
> >> The other 5 machines all have complaints similar to the following:
> >>
> >> 	2016-08-17 09:32:15.549588 7fa2f4666800 -1 filestore(/var/lib/ceph/osd/ceph-1) Error initializing leveldb : Corruption: 6 missing files; e.g.: /var/lib/ceph/osd/ceph-1/current/omap/042421.ldb

That looks bad.
And as Wido said, this shouldn't happen.
What are your XFS mount options for that FS?
I tend to remember seeing "nobarrier" in many OSD examples...

> >> How can we repair the leveldb to allow the OSDs to startup?

Hopefully somebody with a leveldb clue will pipe up, but I have grave
doubts.

> > My first question would be: How did this happen?
> >
> > What hardware are you using underneath? Is there a RAID controller which is not flushing properly? Since this should not happen during a power failure.
> >

> Each OSD drive is connected to an onboard hardware RAID controller and configured in RAID 0 mode as individual virtual disks.  The RAID controller is an LSI 3108.

What are the configuration options?
If there is no BBU and the controller is forcibly set to writeback
caching, this would explain it, too.

> I agree -- I am finding it bizarre that 7 of our 8 OSDs (one per machine) did not survive the power outage.

My philosophy on this is that if any of DCs we're in should suffer a total
and abrupt power loss I won't care, as I'll be buried below tons of
concrete (this being Tokyo).

In a place were power outages are more likely, I'd put local APU in front
of stuff and issues a remote shutdown from it when it starts to run out
of juice.

Having a HW/SW combo that can survive a sudden power loss is nice, having
something in place that softly shuts down things before that is a lot
better.

> We did have some problems with the stock Ubunut xfs_repair (3.1.9) seg faulting, which eventually we overcame by building a newer version of xfs_repair (4.7.0).  But it did finally repair clean.

That also doesn't instill me with confidence, both Ubuntu and XFS wise.

> We actually have some different errors on other OSDs.  A few of them are failing with "Missing map in load_pgs" errors.  But generally speaking it appears to be missing files of various types causing different kinds of failures.
>
> I'm really nervous now about the OSD's inability to start with any inconsistencies and no repair utilities (that I can find).  Any advice on how to recover?

What I've seen in the past assumes that you have at least a running
cluster of sorts, just trashed PGs.
This is far worse.

Christian

chibi@xxxxxxx   	Global OnLine Japan/Rakuten Communications