Re: Include mon restart in logrotate?

> Op 11 augustus 2016 om 9:56 schreef Eugen Block <eblock@xxxxxx>:
>

> Hi list,
>
> we have a working cluster based on Hammer with 4 nodes, 19 OSDs and 3 MONs.
> Now after a couple of weeks we noticed that we're running out of disk
> space on one of the nodes in /var.
> Similar to [1] there are two large LOG files in
> /var/lib/ceph/mon/ceph-d/store.db/ and I already figured they are
> managed when the respective MON is restarted. But the MONs are not
> restarted regularly so the log files can grow for months and fill up
> the file system.

Warning! These are not your regular log files. They are binary logs of LevelDB which are mandatory for the MONs to work!

> I was thinking about adding another file in /etc/logrotate.d/ and
> trigger a monitor restart once a week. But I'm not sure if it's
> recommended to restart all MONs at the same time, which could happen
> if someone started logrotate manually.
> So my question is, how do you guys manage that and how is it supposed
> to be handled? I'd really appreciate any insights!

You shouldn't have to worry about that. The MONs should compact and rotate those logs themselve.

They compact their store on start, so that works for you, but they should do this while running.

What version of Ceph are you running exactly?

What is the output of ceph -s? MONs usually only compact when the cluster is healthy.

Wido