Ceph libaio queue depth understanding

Hi,
we would like to write a testplan to benchmark our ceph cluster. We want to
use fio for it.

According to an article from Sebastian Han [1] ceph is using libaio with
O_DIRECT for writing data to the journal. In a different blog article [2] I
read that ceph is using D_SYNC as well for this. This basically means it is
using a queue depth of 1 (issue one IO request and wait for it to be done),
right? Testing this with fio can be done by using the params direct=1 and
iodepth=1 with engine=libaio.

After this the journal gets flushed to the OSD disk. This time buffered IO is
used (in fio terms: direct=0). My question is:
Which iodepth is used for this (so which value to use in fio)?

In the source code of ceph I can see that the io_setup() function gets called
with '128' concurrent events available. So should I use iodepth=128 in fio for
this?

Maybe I do have a wrong understanding of async IO as well :-)

Thanks for any clarification of this topic

Cheers
Nick

[1] https://www.sebastien-han.fr/blog/2013/10/03/quick-analysis-of-the-ceph-io-layer

[2] http://bryanapperson.com/blog/ceph-raw-disk-performance-testing/

--
Sebastian Nickel
Nine Internet Solutions AG, Albisriederstr. 243a, CH-8047 Zuerich