Listing objects in a specified placement group / OSD

Hi,

I wasn’t sure if this is a ceph-users or ceph-devel question as it’s about the API (users) but the answer may involve me writing a RADOS method (devel).

At the moment in Ceph Jewel I can find which objects are held in an OSD or placement group by looking on the filesystem under /var/lib/ceph/osd/ceph-*/current

This requires access to the OSD host and may well break when using Bluestore if there is no filesystem to look through.  I would like to be able to list objects in a specified PG/OSD from outside of the OSD host using Ceph commands.

I can list all PGs hosted on OSD 1 using “ceph pg ls-by-osd osd.1” and could loop through this output if there was a way to list the objects in a PG.

I have checked the API and librados docs (I would be happy to hack something together using librados) and can’t see any obvious way to list the objects in a PG.

I have seen a post on this mailing list from Ilya last September saying:

“Internally there is a way to list objects within a specific PG (actually more than one way IIRC), but I don't think anything like that is exposed in a CLI (it might be exposed in librados though).”

but could not find any follow up posts with details.

Does anyone have any more details on these internal methods and how to call them?

Cheers,

David