Re: mon_osd_nearfull_ratio (unchangeable) ?

On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 12:16:35PM +1000, Goncalo Borges wrote:
> Hi Brad
>
> Thanks for replying.
>
> Answers inline.
>

> > > I am a bit confused about the 'unchachable' message we get in Jewel 10.2.2
> > > when I try to change some cluster configs.
> > >
> > > For example:
> > >
> > > 1./ if I try to change mon_osd_nearfull_ratio from 0.85 to 0.90, I get
> > >
> > >     # ceph tell mon.* injectargs "--mon_osd_nearfull_ratio 0.90"
> > >     mon.rccephmon1: injectargs:mon_osd_nearfull_ratio = '0.9'
> > >     (unchangeable)
> > >     mon.rccephmon3: injectargs:mon_osd_nearfull_ratio = '0.9'
> > >     (unchangeable)
> > >     mon.rccephmon2: injectargs:mon_osd_nearfull_ratio = '0.9'
> > >     (unchangeable)
> > This is telling you that this variable has no observers (i.e. nothing monitors
> > it dynamically) so changing it at runtime has no effect. IOW it is read at
> > start-up and not referred to again after that IIUC.
> >
> > > but the 0.85 default values continues to be showed in
> > >
> > >      ceph --show-config --conf /dev/null | grep mon_osd_nearfull_ratio
> > >      mon_osd_nearfull_ratio = 0.85
> > Try something like the following.
> >
> > $ ceph daemon mon.a config show|grep mon_osd_nearfull_ratio
> >
> > > and I continue to have health warnings regarding near full osds.
> > So the actual config value has been changed but has no affect and will not
> > persist. IOW, this value needs to be modified in the conf file and the daemon
> > restarted.
> >

> > > 2./ If I change in the ceph.conf and restart services, I get the same
> > > behaviour as in 1./ However, if I check the daemon configuration, I see:
> > Please clarify what you mean by "the same behaviour"?
>
> So, in my ceph.conf I've set 'mon osd nearfull ratio = 0.90' and restarted
> mon and osd (not sure if those were needed) daemons everywhere.
>
> After restarting, I am still getting the health warnings regarding near full
> osds above 85%. If the new value was active, I should not get such warnings.
>

> > >      # ceph daemon mon.rccephmon2 config show | grep mon_osd_nearfull_ratio
> > >      "mon_osd_nearfull_ratio": "0.9",
> > Use the daemon command I showed above.
>
> Isn't it the same as you suggested? That was run after restarting services

Yes, it is. I assumed wrongly that you were using the "--show-config" command
again here.

> so it is still unclear to me why the new value is not picked up and why
> running 'ceph --show-config --conf /dev/null | grep mon_osd_nearfull_ratio'

That command shows the default ceph config, try something like this.

$ ceph -n mon.rccephmon2 --show-config|grep mon_osd_nearfull_ratio

> still shows 0.85
>
> Maybe a restart if services is not what has to be done but a stop/start
> instead?

You can certainly try it but I would have thought a restart would involve
stop/start of the MON daemon. This thread includes additional information that
may be relevant to you atm.

http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.ceph.devel/23391

--
Cheers,