Re: mon_osd_nearfull_ratio (unchangeable) ?

On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 11:01:49AM +1000, Goncalo Borges wrote:
> Dear Cephers...

Hi Goncalo,

> I am a bit confused about the 'unchachable' message we get in Jewel 10.2.2
> when I try to change some cluster configs.
>
> For example:
>
> 1./ if I try to change mon_osd_nearfull_ratio from 0.85 to 0.90, I get
>
>    # ceph tell mon.* injectargs "--mon_osd_nearfull_ratio 0.90"
>    mon.rccephmon1: injectargs:mon_osd_nearfull_ratio = '0.9'
>    (unchangeable)
>    mon.rccephmon3: injectargs:mon_osd_nearfull_ratio = '0.9'
>    (unchangeable)
>    mon.rccephmon2: injectargs:mon_osd_nearfull_ratio = '0.9'
>    (unchangeable)

This is telling you that this variable has no observers (i.e. nothing monitors
it dynamically) so changing it at runtime has no effect. IOW it is read at
start-up and not referred to again after that IIUC.

> but the 0.85 default values continues to be showed in
>
>     ceph --show-config --conf /dev/null | grep mon_osd_nearfull_ratio
>     mon_osd_nearfull_ratio = 0.85

Try something like the following.

$ ceph daemon mon.a config show|grep mon_osd_nearfull_ratio

> and I continue to have health warnings regarding near full osds.

So the actual config value has been changed but has no affect and will not
persist. IOW, this value needs to be modified in the conf file and the daemon
restarted.

> 2./ If I change in the ceph.conf and restart services, I get the same
> behaviour as in 1./ However, if I check the daemon configuration, I see:

Please clarify what you mean by "the same behaviour"?

>     # ceph daemon mon.rccephmon2 config show | grep mon_osd_nearfull_ratio
>     "mon_osd_nearfull_ratio": "0.9",

Use the daemon command I showed above.

> There seems to be some discussion on the topic here:
> https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/7085
>
> But in summary, it doesn't seem I am able to change this value.
>
> Can someone clarify exactly what is the happening here?

Let me know if this is still unclear.

> Cheers
> G.
>
> --
> Goncalo Borges
> Research Computing
> ARC Centre of Excellence for Particle Physics at the Terascale
> School of Physics A28 | University of Sydney, NSW  2006
> T: +61 2 93511937

Cheers,
Brad