Re: Infernalis -> Jewel, 10x+ RBD latency increase

On Fri, 2016-07-22 at 08:56 +0100, Nick Fisk wrote:

> [...]

It wouldn't surprise me either, though I to the best of my knowledge
haven't actively configured any such write caching anywhere.

I did forget one brief detail regarding the setup: We run 4x OSDs per
SSD-drive, i.e. roughly 400 GB each.
Consistent 4k random-write performance onto /var/lib/ceph/osd-
$num/fiotestfile, with similar test-config as above, is 13k IOPS *per
partition*.

> 250us is pretty much unachievable for directio writes with Ceph.

Thanks for the feedback, though it's disappointing to hear.

>  I've just built some new nodes with the pure goal of crushing
> (excuse the pun) write latency and after extensive tuning can't get
> it much below 600-700us.

What of the below, or other than the below, have you done, considering
the directIO baseline?
 - SSD only hosts
 - NIC <-> CPU/NUMA mapping
 - HBA <-> CPU/NUMA mapping
 - ceph-osd process <-> CPU/NUMA mapping
 - Partition SSDs into multiple partitions
 - Ceph OSD tunings for concurrency (many-clients)
 - Ceph OSD tunings for latency (many-clients)
 - async messenger, new in Jewel (not sure what impact is), or,
change/tuning of memory allocator
 - RDMA (e.g. Mellanox) messenger

I have yet to iron out precisely what those two OSD tunings would be.

> The 4ms sounds more likely for an untuned cluster. I wonder if any of
> the RBD or qemu cache settings would have changed between versions?

I'm curious about this too.  What are relevant OSD-side configs here?
And how do I check what the librbd clients experience? What parameters
from e.g. /etc/ceph/$clustername.conf applies to them?

I'll have to make another pass over the rbd PRs between Infernalis and
10.2.2 I suppose.