Re: ceph + vmware

Hi Mike,

i was trying:

https://ceph.com/dev-notes/adding-support-for-rbd-to-stgt/

ONE target, from different OSD servers directly, to multiple vmware esxi
servers.

A config looked like:

#cat iqn.ceph-cluster_netzlaboranten-storage.conf

<target iqn.ceph-cluster:vmware-storage>
driver iscsi
bs-type rbd
backing-store rbd/vmware-storage
initiator-address 10.0.0.9
initiator-address 10.0.0.10
incominguser vmwaren-storage RPb18P0xAqkAw4M1
</target>

We had 4 OSD servers. Everyone had this config running.
We had 2 vmware servers ( esxi ).

So we had 4 paths to this vmware-storage RBD object.

VMware, in the very end, had 8 paths ( 4 path's directly connected to
the specific vmware server ) + 4 paths this specific vmware servers saw
via the other vmware server ).

There were very big problems with performance. I am talking about < 10
MB/s. So the customer was not able to use it, so good old nfs is serving.

At that time we used ceph hammer, and i think esxi 5.5 the customer was
using, or maybe esxi 6, was somewhere last year the testing.

--------------------

We will make a new attempt now with ceph jewel and esxi 6 and this time
we will manage the vmware servers.

As soon as we fixed this

"ceph mon Segmentation fault after set crush_ruleset ceph 10.2.2"

what i already mailed here to the list is solved, we can start the testing.

--
Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Best regards

Oliver Dzombic
IP-Interactive

mailto:info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Anschrift:

IP Interactive UG ( haftungsbeschraenkt )
Zum Sonnenberg 1-3
63571 Gelnhausen

HRB 93402 beim Amtsgericht Hanau
Geschäftsführung: Oliver Dzombic